The Colbert Report, October 16, 2014
- Keen On podcast, November 2021
40+ minutes on The Dawn of Everything, the magisterial new history of humanity co-authored by the late, great David Graeber and reviewed by me in the Atlantic. A brisk and bracing conversation.
- Center for Public Christianity (Australia), June 2021
A tight half hour on the themes of Excellent Sheep. Plus, Australian accents.
- The Agenda, November 2020
A half hour on The Death of the Artist for TV Ontario with a really smart host.
- The Unspeakable Podcast, November 2020
An hour-plus on The Death of the Artist, including lots of writer-talk, with the awesome Meghan Daum.
- Humanize Me podcast, September 2020
An hour on The Death of the Artist with Bart Campolo, the great ex-evangelical writer and speaker.
- City Club of Cleveland, August 2020
The Death of the Artist virtual book-tour event with Rebekah Modrak of the University of Michigan.
- Keen On podcast, August 2020
Half an hour on The Death of the Artist with a brilliant host who sounds like Mick Jagger.
- Velshi & Ruhle (MSNBC), March 2019
Short segment on the college admissions bribery scandal.
- Unmistakable Creative Podcast, September 2018
My parents, neoliberal education, learning not to give a crap.
- The Leadership Podcast, April 2018
Solitude, leadership, higher ed, the waitress principle, and Alan Dershowitz.
- Talking to Teens podcast, December 2017
A conversation about talking with adolescents about their future.
- Latino USA, May 2017
A short panel discussion about safe spaces on college campuses.
- TEDxMtHood, June 2016
“The Best Education for All”: on the political significance of the liberal arts.
- 99U Conference, May 2016
A talk about creative entrepreneurialism.
- Design Week Portland, April 2016
A short talk on food culture and food as culture.
- Aspen Ideas Festival, June 2015
“What Is College For?”: a conversation with David Brooks.
- The Colbert Report (Comedy Central), October 16, 2014
A segment on Excellent Sheep.
- The Leonard Lopate Show (WNYC), September 17, 2014
A half hour on Excellent Sheep.
- The Kelly File (Fox News), September 5, 2014
A segment on Excellent Sheep.
- Think Out Loud (Oregon Public Broadcasting), August 12, 2014
A full hour on Excellent Sheep.
- Creative Mornings Portland, July 2012
A talk on the entrepreneurial ideal among Millennials and others.
- Midmorning (Minnesota Public Radio), September 16, 2011
A full hour on the cult of the uniform, with sociologist Jerry Lembcke.
- Against the Grain (KPFA/Pacifica), July 26, 2011
A full hour on the crisis in higher education.
- Here & Now (WBUR/PRI), June 27, 2011
A long segment on leadership, with a coda on Jane Austen v. VS Naipaul.
- Callie Crossley Show (WGBH Radio Boston), May 18, 2011
A half hour on A Jane Austen Education.
- Spark (CBC Radio), February 28, 2010
A discussion of friendship and social media with danah boyd.
- Forum (KQED San Francisco), January 30, 2009
A full hour on solitude and social media.